Adventures of a girl from a BIG cold city in a small tropical village

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Leaving

It's come up so quickly, I am leaving on Monday, it seems like just yesterday I was asking Gary and Jan at my graduation party if I could go with them down to Belize. Now its almost been 6 months since graduation; I left Boston, returned and left again, I have traveled North America, had the pleasure of working and getting to know the Escher family, written the GRE, almost applied to Grad school, and now the time has come for a new adventure.
I have been seeking adventure since I was 11 and I came home and told my Mom that I needed to do CISV. That summer I was off to a "village" (what CISV calls their program for 11 year olds) Germany for a month with other 11 year old from all over the world; an experience that would change me forever. It further cemented my idea that we are all equals despite exterior differences. The idea of equality was always obvious to me because of the variety of characters that shaped my childhood in downtown Toronto.
Despite not having the opportunity to study abroad in college because of a fierce dedication to rowing, I knew that after graduation I needed to have some international experience to help me decide my career path. I know that I want to study Epidemiology but I am not yet sure whether I want to focus my career on western health or global health.
My International Health Professor, Susan Foster, was further inspiration to go do some volunteer work abroad. In her video taking about her experience in the peace corps she talks about needing to have experience on the ground if you hope to work in "Geneva" and I really felt she made a valid point.



So here I am almost ready to leave. It's scary, exciting, thrilling, nerve racking, and everything in between. I am lucky that I will have my family there, Gary and Jan are like second parents to me, I have even lived at their house a few times.
I better go get packing (pictures to come).
I definitely have Plenty to Belize in right now.
Much Love
Boom!

No comments:

Post a Comment