Adventures of a girl from a BIG cold city in a small tropical village

Thursday, December 22, 2011

I have Good News and Bad News...

This isn't the bad news
Let's start with the bad news,

On Sunday we had the Plenty Christmas party out at Mark's house in Jacintoville. It was a great time, tonnes of delicious food, great people, cutest kids, and even some dancing. I was feeling fine when we went out there, had a few Belikin Christmas Stouts, Some Rum Popo (rum and eggnog), but nothing to warrant what happen next...
It was a chilly ride home, and I was tired so I though I would just get into while Jan and Gary went out to see some of the peace corps guys play at a local bar. I got into bed to watch a movie and get under the covers because I was freezing, and then I could stop shaking, ok this will go away, put on a sweater, oh man I am cold, but I really don't want to get up, why can't I stop shaking, oh man I have a fever, I am cold, ok this will go away, go to sleep...
Tthis went on for a few hous, after being a little sick and actually falling a sleep for a few minutes Jan and Gary came home, and decided I should go to the hospital, it's just around the corner from our place. They admitted me, took my temp (99.6F), took some blood for testing and after me resisting like a small child put an IV in me, after the first bag I began to feel much better, and after two more bags I felt semi normal. They gave me malaria pills and sent me home to take a shower, eat something and go to bed. I already felt loads better. The next day I was just a little under the weather but almost normal but not up to do more than lay in bed all day watching movies. Now I am on two types of antibiotics but feel pretty much back to normal. Despite the hospital not looking like anything we would have back home they were efficient and everything, including the drugs, was free. Pretty amazing. Now the only downside is, because of the antibiotics I can't drink on Christmas.

And now the good news,
For the first time in ages I went on row2k yesterday (and if you don't count just checking race results last spring season even longer). I don't know what inspired my nostalgia, but I was missing rowing. It's not as though I was on Fluid design figuring out if they could ship a single down to Punta Gorda, I was just feeling a little nostalgic for it all, even someone who was as burnt out and worn out as me can feel that.
It seems as though fate played a part in this; Gary had to head up the Rio Grande to the TIDE ranger station to fix their solar electrical system, and he suggested that Jan and I see if we could hop in the boat for a ride. Nelson, the ranger, had no problem letting us hitch a long for the ride, and so off we went.
Glass
We had to ride up the coast for a few minutes before turning in to head up the river. The water was like glass, it would have been perfect for a paddle in the skiff. After heading up the river for about 15 minutes we landed at what seemed to be a Belizean Garden of Eden. Mango Trees, Mahogany, Mally Apple Trees, Travellers Palms, a perfect thatch overlooking the river, and cut grass all in between.
I think the Mahogony looks like something from a Dr. Suess

 There wasn't much for  us to do while Gary and one of the interns were on the roof, so we explored the grounds; sat on the dock with our feet in the water listening to the rock fish (fish that make noise...is this real life?) as the minoes gathered around, watched the leaf cutting ants make trails that look like they were made from human foot traffic (they call them machinahmy, like marching army...get it?), and sat there sketching a picture of a Mayan woman that Nelson thought was awesome despite my lacklustre drawing skills.
See the sunken sailboat?

Jan and I by the river

Do you like my art?

After Gary was done working hard we headed back up the river, as we turned the corner there was the most beautiful sunset over PG.
Aren't they the cutest?


It felt awesome to be out on the water again; seems a boat ride was all I needed to cure my nostalgia. There really is nothing like the calm waters of a glassy river.

Much Love,
Mariel

No comments:

Post a Comment