Adventures of a girl from a BIG cold city in a small tropical village

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Sometimes you just need to watch a sunrise

Last night I was struggling a bit with the adjustment to life down here, in many ways. I had a great dinner with a bunch of the Peace Corps people and then had a long chat with my mom about all of my struggles. After a very dreamful sleep (I normally don’t remember any dreams) I woke up at 5:30 wishing I would have at least slept until the sun was up. I got out of bed anyways, put some toast and coffee on, and right in the middle of putting the coffee on I saw this:




The pictures don’t quite capture the beauty of the light coming up over Guatemala (which you can see across the bay from here). I went back in to pour my coffee and eat my breakfast and then the sun came up over the horizon as this amazing orange orb.


I really wish I had a ridiculously expensive camera so that I could truly capture this for you all. 


Sometimes the world just knows what you need, if you’re looking for it. Something got me out of bed in the dark this morning. I needed a reminder of the beauty that is around us. That sunrise was my reminder that beauty that is everywhere (except maybe strip malls), if you’re just open to it. A sunrise, a flower, even a broken down car over grown beside the road can all be beautiful. Jan is an avid birder and she sees beauty in all the amazing birds that you find here; being with her I am beginning to appreciate them to. I need to see the world through the eyes of the Belizeans for a while; see what they see in their country, why they are proud to call this home. They certainly are lucky, this place is beautiful.  

My message for today is: Look for beauty in the world around you and you will find it.
Love
Mariel

No comments:

Post a Comment