Adventures of a girl from a BIG cold city in a small tropical village

Friday, December 30, 2011

Reflections not Resolutions

Two Thousand and Eleven, Deux Mille Onze, MMXI, 2011....
Its been one crazy ride from start to finish. I am sure all of us in the class of 2011 from universities all across the globe can say this has been a year of big changes, exploration, fun and sadness. If this year has taught me anything, it's that you can't predict a lot; I certainly didn't know the adventures this year would hold when the clock struck midnight last year. So rather then writing resolutions for 2012, I think its more appropriate to write reflections of 2011 and let 2012 be what it may.

Here are my highlights:
  • Camp Pepin

I can honestly say (and I think those in attendance will agree) that, that week in Melbourne Beach, FL was one of the best of my life. MANgaritas, and mexican food, thrift stores, beach games, dock side chats, Insanity workouts, runs, helicopters lifting away homeless men, magicians at the bar, Gators, Gill,  nicknames, card games, beer, arts and crafts, new friends, old friends... I can't thank Jerome and Christine enough for letting us crash your house, those memories will last a lifetime

  • Whiskey Tree
Walking over for a Jam Session
   Jam sessions with JM and Toph were definitely some of my favourite times of this year. Despite the fact that all of us were way to busy to fit it in as much as we would have liked, our Rihanna covers, original songs and improv sessions made the stress of school, work and rowing and dissipate into the music every time.
Thanks boys


  • Dungeon Dragons, Saving Doby and Mario Cart
Rah Rah Like a Dungeon Dragon
Despite having a disappointing final rowing season, my love for my team mates was stronger than ever and we had some pretty hilarious moments.  Its impossible to explain the ridiculous things that happen at team meetings, the jokes that happen in the midst of physical and mental exhaustion. Although there might have been days that I wanted to thrown in the towel and and spend my last semester enjoying life as a college student, I wouldn't trade those special inside jokes for anything; I don't think anybody else can say they have cried tears of happiness after being called Bowser from Mario Cart.

  • Senior Week and Graduation

There are no words for how thankful I am that the dates with rowing worked out so that we got to participate in Senior Week and the BU Commencement Ceremony. Getting that last week in Boston to be a crazy college student and soak in every last bit of my BU experience was amazing, and to get to spend it with the  best friends in the world from not only the class of 2011 but special guest from 2010 and 2012, and my family; life doesn't get better. Although no good bye tears were shed (those came later in the year), repeated hugs and words of love were shared as we all packed up with heavy hearts heading on the next phase. I didn't know what was in store for the immediate future but I did know that those friends would be in my long term plans.

  • Kids and Babies
Home and unemployed, it was fate when a friend of my Mom called saying her neighbour was desperate for a nanny since she had just had twins 3 weeks ago and their current nanny was leaving. It was perfect for me, I get to get paid to spend time with 4 cute as button kids and save my money to go travelling when my contract is up in July. The summer with Betty, Paul, Henry, Karen and Lorraine involved many trips to the duck pond and Mudlake, lots of bread baked, loads and loads of laundry, tickle fights while trying to make the bed, and watching the babies grow by the day. I think everyone should be a nanny, it's like a a test run to having your own kids.

  • Seeing the Sights 
My journal and some local brew
Until this year, my summers had been spent at the Ottawa Rowing Club. Two rows a day doesn't really leave much time for travelling. I had people I wanted to visit and places I wanted to see, so I started planning. Next thing you know its July 29th and the time has come...
Ottawa->Kenora->Winnipeg->Banff->Kelowna->Vancouver->Seattle->Portland->San Francisco->
LA->Boston-> Bethany Beach->Back to Ottawa
It was six amazing weeks! I could write a novel on just that, but I'll just leave you with the advice that you should try travelling alone sometime. Bring a camera, write a journal and send some postcards.


  • Being Home Again
On Parliment Hill to see Will and Kate
I didn't take full advantage of this. I was still in full post breakup depression with Boston, I wasn't ready for the split, and therefore wasn't ready to fully appreciate Ottawa for all that it is rather than all that it isn't. It's a beautiful city, with lots of space for outdoor activities. Paths along the canal and rivers for running and biking, provincial parks near by, awesome outdoor concerts all summer long (despite being rudely cut short by wind storms) super cute up and coming neighbourhood (my current favourite is Wellington West, but I want to explore Hintonburg more) and lots lots more. When I get back, I really need to take advantage of more of it, rather then wallowing in what its not. Not to mention I love my house, my bedroom, my dog and my family; it's nice to have them all around me again. 
  • Head of the Charles 2011
So happy together
I have been waiting for the HOCR where I didn't have to row since my first Charles experience in 2005. During HOCR weekends of college I always felt like there was 1.5 millions things going on and people to see that racing just got in the way of all that. Maybe it's the fact that I don't really like head races, or the fact that I have never had a very good race for the Charles but I couldn't wait for this year when I would no longer have to be the one on the river. Everyone was in town and  it was as though no time had passed, we were all just going out to the bars on an ordinary weekend. It was a strange feeling, almost like time travel, like it was too good to be true. It was an awesome weekend; four crazy nights of partying, catching up with my besties, walking up and down the course collecting freebies, and shamelessly critiquing the rowing. Then, like a kick in the stomach reality set in that this was not reality and I had to fly back home without all my besties. Boston and I have had a tough breakup and it was finally time to really morn the loss, which involved a still hungover me crying in the lounge at the airport, it must have been a site to see.

  • Belize
Land of the free
By the Carib Sea
In a year full of big changes this has been the biggest. I moved thousands of miles away, to another culture, to a small town, to volunteer. It's been a crazy learning experience, a growing experience and an adventure. 









Given all that 2011 has given me I really do have Plenty to Belize In.
Thanks 2011 and all the people in it that made it such a crazy and special year

Love and Best Wishes for 2012
Mariel

No comments:

Post a Comment